The Rukhabad Mausoleum was built in 1380 by order of Amir Timur over the grave of Islamic theologian and mystic Sheikh Burhaneddin Sagaradzhi, who was especially honored by Timur’s contemporaries.
Burhaneddin Sagaradji made a significant contribution to the spread of Islam among the nomads of Eastern Turkestan. An Islamic theologian was very influential at the court of the Chinese Yuan dynasty and was married to a Chinese princess. The exact date of his death has not been established, but it is known that he died in China. After death, according to the testament of Sagaradji, his ashes were transported by his son Abu Said to Samarkand.
Surrounded by a halo of holiness, the name of the sheikh caused the name of the mausoleum - Ruhabad - “Resident spirit”. This one-dome building, not typical for that time, without an entrance portal, was built of burnt bricks and looks very modest against the background of Gur-Emir and Ak-Saray, located next door.
On the base in the form of a cube, an arched octahedron with windows on the main axes rests, and a spheroconic dome crowns the structure. According to legend, a box with seven hairs from the beard of the prophet Muhammad, which belonged to the holy sheikh, is immured in the dome.
The mausoleum has three entrances from the north, west and south. The interior decor of the mausoleum is also very modest: perhaps its only decoration is a two-meter-high ceramic panel at the base of the walls with inserts of glazed bricks in the form of a narrow ribbon. Here are the simple tombstones of Sagardzhi, his wife-princess and 9 children.
Book a place in the Samarkand Hotel on our website.